Safety Specialist – Huntsville
Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) is seeking a Safety Specialist.
The Safety Specialist will perform a variety of safety program tasks in support of the Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) at the Marshall Space Flight Center. Works with JSEG personnel to build the safety culture and to promote safe work practices.
- Responsible for coordinating and conducting site safety and health assessments and reviews pertaining to projects and operations.
- Develop, design and implement applications and processes that will improve efficiencies and programs within the SHE organization.
- Promote the Jacobs BeyondZero Safety culture at the site
- Interprets federal, NASA and Jacobs safety requirements and regulations; as they apply to JSEG operations, and implements policies and procedures to ensure that these operations are in compliance.
- Investigates and provides technical solutions to problems or questions/concerns received from within JSEG.
- Interacts with JSEG personnel to resolve safety health and environmental issues.
- Tracks, monitors and reports on safety operations across JSEG teams.
- Review pre-task work plans.
- Provides oversight of compliance with safety health and environmental requirements and Jacobs policy.
- Coordinates and assists in carrying out internal safety audits.
- Assist the SHE Office in the development of strategic planning activities to ensure that JSEG has identified an attainable path of improvement for safety and health, lessons learned, mission success and risk identification/reduction in support of projects and mission assurance.
- Perform ergonomic assessments.
Perform other duties as assigned.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related field with 3-5 years of progressive and relevant experience in an industrial setting.
- Excellent communication, presentation and customer interface skills required.
- Must be detail-oriented; accuracy is required.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects without missing deadlines or sacrificing accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and be able to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Thorough understanding and broad application of occupational safety and health regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Possess a valid driver’s license with excellent driving record
- Provide transportation for traveling between buildings
- US citizenship required
JSEG employees are located in over 30 buildings. Position requires daily travel to different buildings on-site. Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the NASA Facility
Industrial/Test Lab environment (50%). Requires the ability to access industrial and test lab facilities. Traveling on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and grass is required to access various locations on the facility. May be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection, respirator, and other associated personal protective equipment.
Office environment (50%). Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing. Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client.
Climbing ladders and platforms is necessary. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues. Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks. Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs’s facilities.
Equipment and Machines
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity.
Other Essential Functions
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must be dependable and punctual.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.